Mt. Everest: "He Will Blow Us All Away" (day 10)


Mt. Everest: “He Will Blow Us All Away”
Trekking back to Namche Bazaar (from Peng Boche)
Friday, September 21, 2018

Only two days after reaching Everest Base Camp and we feel so much ambivalence.   On the one hand, we are looking forward to ending the journey.  It’s not that it has not been worthwhile, but it has been a long and hard ordeal. On the other hand, we don’t want it to end.  It has given us a freedom from our worldly concerns.  It has given us the freedom from worry. 

The focus has been on survival the last few days instead of the petty concerns that occupy our daily lives.

After breakfast the journey continued. We were actually walking downhill.  You can’t imagine how glorious it felt to be going down instead of up.  


But that feeling was an illusion soon to be shattered like most forms of happiness. They are fleeting and incomplete understandings and feelings, but that’s ok – it still felt wonderful in the moment. 

In fact, I had a dream the night before.  All I can remember about it is that I was hugging my mom of 91 years of age and my dad who passed away in my twenties.  I kissed my mom first and then kissed my father on the lips.  We all hugged – longer than a greeting hug, the seconds passed slowly, making it feel richer, more intentional and real.  My father’s face was a clear as life.  I felt it was a way of saying “congratulations David, you made it and we are so very proud of you and what you have done with your life.”  It was only a dream but so real, vivid and tender. I will never forget it.

It did not take long before we were climbing up again.  We did not want to see another stone step going up again, but there we were faced with yet another climb to get home.


We eventually hit a Nepalese flat (a moderate incline as compared with an American flat which is literally flat).  People stopped us periodically to see where we were from and in the process, we learned David was a celebrity on the trail.  Folks had heard of the little boy with the golden hair who had made it all the way to Everest Base Camp.  They were impressed. 


We were very proud.  After a while when folks asked us if we made it to Everest Base Camp we would lead with a response like: “Yes, we made it and with a little man only 11 years ago.”  Most were impressed with his achievement, even motivated.  Others viewing life with another lens were a bit intimidated.

We felt that we had taught him something about self-determination, independence, perseverance and strength of will and character through this trek.

Finally, the Summer helped us get out of our heads for a while with some music she downloaded earlier. We listened to Custer (her favorite group), but the most powerful song came from Hamilton (the Broadway play).  It was the lyrics to  Dear Theodosia” that had the most impact - “you will blow us all away.”
 
[Hamilton]
Oh, Phillip when you smile I am undone, my son
Look at my son
Pride is not the word I'm looking for
There is so much more inside me now

Oh, Phillip you outshine the morning sun, my son
When you smile, I fall apart and I thought I was so smart

My father wasn't around

[Burr]
My father wasn't around

[Hamilton]
I swear that

[Both]
I'll be around for you

[Hamilton]
I'll do whatever it takes

[Burr]
I'll make a million mistakes

[Both]
I'll make the world safe and sound for you

You'll come of age with our young nation
We'll bleed and fight for you
We'll make it right for you
If we lay a strong enough foundation
We'll pass it on to you
We'll give the world to you and you'll blow us all away
Someday x2
Yeah, you'll blow us all away
Someday, someday


It brought tears to my eyes for moment or two.  We are so proud of our little man – reaching Everest Base Camp at 11.  He was always ahead of the pack and at every step enthusiastic about the journey.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mt. Everest - Happy Rosh Hashanah (Happy Jewish New Year in Kathmandu

Mt. Everest: One Day Later (day 9)

Mt. Everest - An Introduction (to the blog)